This dish hits all the right notes - salty halloumi coated in a sweet and zesty glaze, paired with crunchy fresh veg and creamy avocado, all served on top of our smokey Chipotle rice with a kick of chilli… what’s not to love?! Whip it up for a speedy weeknight dinner, and enjoy the leftovers cold for lunch the next day. Yum.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 Nice Rice Chipotle rice pouch
- 1 pack of halloumi (approx 250g)
- Finely grated zest and juice of half a lime
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Half a red onion (thinly sliced into half moons)
- Quarter of a red pepper (diced)
- 1 avocado (halved and chopped into chunks)
- 1 ripe tomato (chopped into bite sized pieces)
- Half a red chilli (finely chopped, deseeded if you prefer)
- Few sprigs of fresh coriander (leaves picked)
1. Halve, peel and slice the red onion into thin half moons. Chop both the tomato and red pepper into strips, then dice into small bite sized pieces. Halve the avocado, carefully remove the stone, then peel and chop into bite sized chunks.
2. Finely chop the red chilli (deseeding if you prefer). Finally, slice your halloumi into thick strips, then set all of the ingredients to one side.
3. Place a large pan over a medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil.
4. Pat your halloumi dry with some kitchen paper, then once the oil is hot, spread the slices of halloumi out in your pan. Fry until golden on one side, before carefully flipping over.
5. Turn down the heat, then drizzle over the honey, watching as it bubbles between the slices of halloumi.
6. Finely grate the lime zest into the pan, then finish with the juice, swirling the pan constantly to ensure it doesn’t burn.
7. Turn the halloumi once more to ensure it’s fully glazed, then remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
8. Take your Chipotle rice and squeeze the pouch to separate the grains. Tear a 2cm opening at the top of the pouch, then cook on full power for 90 seconds until piping hot. Leave to stand for a minute before opening fully.
9. Tip half the rice out into each bowl and top with the red onion, red pepper, tomato and avocado. Layer the slices of halloumi on top and sprinkle over the chopped red chilli and coriander leaves, before finishing with a final squeeze of lime.
Now it’s time to tuck in to some changemaking grains - enjoy!