Smokey Chipotle rice creates the perfect flavour-bomb base for any Mexican-inspired chopped salad. A great option for meal prep or get-ahead lunches, this version includes protein rich black beans, vibrant fresh veggies, salty feta and tangy sour cream. But you can play around with your toppings to keep things interesting!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 Nice Rice Chipotle rice pouch
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced (or a mix if you prefer)
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed well
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 1 small tin sweetcorn
- 1 avocado, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ block feta cheese, to crumble
- 2 tbsp sour cream (to top)
- 1 fresh red chilli (if you like a kick!)
- Zest and juice of a lime
- Small handful fresh coriander
- Glug of extra virgin olive oil
- Flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Start by mixing your zesty lime dressing: In a small jar with a tight lid (or a small bowl) mix together the olive oil, lime zest and juice, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside.
- Chop the bell pepper into bite-sized pieces and finely dice the red onion. Separately drain and rinse the black beans and sweetcorn, then pat dry with kitchen paper. Set a frying pan on a medium-heat and drizzle in a tiny bit of oil. Add the corn and allow it to sit, stirring only very occasionally, so they get nicely charred on both sides - this should only take a few minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Squeeze your Chipotle rice pouch to separate the grains, before tearing a 2cm opening at the top. Pop into the microwave on full power for 90 seconds until piping hot. Leave to stand for a minute before opening fully.
- Tip the rice into a large bowl followed by the peppers, black beans, charred corn, diced red onion and chopped coriander. Crumble in most of the feta (reserving a little for the top) then drizzle over the lime dressing, giving everything a really good mix.
- Divide the rice into two serving bowls and top with the remaining feta cheese, the sliced avocado halves, a good dollop of sour cream and some finely grated lime zest. If you like a kick, sprinkle over the chopped red chilli.
Now it's time to tuck in to some changemaking grains - enjoy!