This big bowl of vibrant green veg and wholegrain rice is not only nutritious, but delicious too! A great lunch option for a lazy weekend when you’ve got a little more time to faff around with podding broad beans (which is surprisingly therapeutic!) or you can prep this in advance for healthy lunches during the week ahead.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 Nice Rice Wholegrain rice pouch
- Small bunch of asparagus
- A handful of frozen peas
- A handful of broad beans
- A large handful of rocket
- A handful of fresh soft herbs (we used mint, chives and dill, but use what you have to hand)
- Zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- Small handful chopped pistachio nuts
- Sprinkle of flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the tops off your asparagus spears about 3cm down the length, then slice the rest of the stalk into approx. 1.5cm pieces. Carefully slit the skins of the broad beans along the seam with a knife, then run your thumb along the furry inside to pop the beans out. Fill two bowls with cold water and a couple of handfuls of ice cubes, then set aside.
- Set a small pan on a medium-high heat and allow the water to boil. Turn it down to a simmer and quickly blanch the broad beans for just a couple of minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and submerge into the ice bath to stop the cooking process. Repeat this process with the asparagus and frozen peas (adding these to the second bowl) until all of the veg has turned a vibrant green and is lightly blanched, but not soft.
- Drain the water and ice cubes from the bowls and pat the vegetables dry with some kitchen paper. Remove the asparagus spears and reserve for later. Lightly squeeze and twist the leathery skin of the broad beans to release the bright green beans inside and add to the bowl with the other veg.
- Add a large handful of peppery rocket to the green veg, Give the rice pouch a good squeeze to separate the grains, then tip into the bowl. Finely chop the fresh herbs and add, giving everything a good mix.
- In a small jar with a tight lid, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Give it a good shake (or mix well with a fork, if using a small dish or jug) and pour over the salad before mixing well.
- Tip the salad out into a serving bowl and top with the asparagus tips and a handful of crunchy pistachios, adding a final drizzle of olive oil.
Now it's time to tuck in to some changemaking grains - enjoy!