When Autumn rolls around and the weather starts to cool, it’s the perfect time to embrace comforting meals the whole family can enjoy. Our rich and savoury Provençal Herb rice with earthy mushroom, rosemary and thyme pairs perfectly with roasted veg and quality sausages. Easy to prepare, but a guaranteed weeknight winner and a great way to sneak in some veg.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 2 large courgettes
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- A handful fresh cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 cumberland sausages
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- A handful fresh chopped parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pack NICE RICE Provençal Herb rice
- 50g grated parmesan cheese
- Glug of extra virgin olive oil
- Flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Halve the courgettes lengthways then scoop out the flesh with a spoon to create hollow boats to hold the sausagemeat mix. Roughly chop the flesh and set aside.
- Carefully remove the sausages from their skins and break the meat up into a large bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion for around 5 mins until softened, but not browned. Throw in the chopped cherry tomatoes for a further 3-4 mins. Stir in the crushed garlic and cook for 1 min more, then add the chopped courgette and cook for 6 mins until tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and tip into a bowl along with the breadcrumbs, fresh parsley and sausagemeat and lemon zest. Mix together well (this is easiest with your hands!)
- Spoon the mixture into the hollowed out courgette halves and place side by side in a baking dish. Drizzle over a little olive oil, then scatter with the remaining breadcrumbs. Bake for 25-30 mins until the courgettes are tender and the filling is golden brown. (If browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil).
- Meanwhile, squeeze your Provençal Herb rice pouch to separate the grains, then gently heat through for a couple of minutes in the same pan you used to cook the veg.
- Tip the rice into two shallow bowls or plates, topping with two courgette halves per person. Finish with grated parmesan and a scatter of fresh parsley.
Now it's time to tuck in to some changemaking grains - enjoy!